Monday, January 17, 2011

King Still King?


When the words “King” comes out of someone’s mouth, who do you think of? King Arthur? Martin Luther King? Or is it Lebron James? Most people today will assume you are talking about Lebron James. I mean who would not know how Lebron was nominated MVP twice, drafted to the NBA before even going to college, and ditched the Cleveland Cavaliers in order to join the Miami Heats in order to win a championship ring. The self-proclaimed “King” has made his legacy throughout the modern day as one of the best NBA players of all time. But it would all be impossible without the true “King” that many have forgotten throughout time.
Sure there is a national holiday named after him, but most just look at the holiday as another day off like I do. Currently, on Martin Luther King Day, I am sitting here enjoying my break. Do I really care about him as of today? No. Do I think and remorse over him today? No. I should but do I really? No. Even though I do not think about him, he may be one of the reasons I stand where I am today. No, I am not black I know that, but, thanks to him, the African American has been gained freedom from segregation and humiliation Thanks to him, Lebron James can play in the NBA. Thanks to him, Michael Jordan sells millions of shoes each year. Thanks to him, America has accepted different cultures and races. He is still the true King.

No comments:

Post a Comment